Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Practice Teaching and Church

So this past Sunday Ally, Kelsey, and I decided to go to a Japanese church that meets in our school building. One of the teachers who goes each week invited us because they were going to have English notes that week. It was interesting because I recognized every song they sang but couldn't sing any because I couldn't read the characters. We then had a sermon and it was somewhat boring because we couldn't understand anything so we just read the notes. We said the Lord's Prayer (in Japanese) and sang Doxology to end. The layout was very similar to my church back home. At the end they served everyone a cup of tea haha. Anyways I don't think we will go back very often unless we miraculously become fluent in Japanese.

Anyways this past week I've been observing and "practice teaching". Tomorrow will be my first full day of teaching which will be interesting because I've really only seen 2 normal days. I think it will go well though. The class I'm teaching is very well behaved, which is good because I really hate disciplining other people's classes. I will also teach on Friday and get observed so that I can get feedback. Next week all I know is I'm observing a few days and Thursday they will announce the K5 classes to the kids so I will be there to welcome them. I don't get my class though until the 12th I believe. So that means 3 more weeks of practice teaching and observing, 1 week of vacation, and 1 week of prep before the kids get here. Hopefully it will go by fast.

In other news, I don't think Thailand is going to work out anymore! When we originally looked at plane tickets they were about $700 and the next day they went up to $1200 so that isn't going to work for us. Tickets to Bangkok aren't bad but we are hearing mixed reviews about the safety so it makes us a little bit nervous. We have somewhat narrowed it down to Singapore or Guam though. If anyone has ever been there let me know so I can bombard you with questions.

P.S. I haven't received any mail yet.

Forest Park 101, 3-4-11
Takamori, Izumi-Ku, Sendai
Miyagi, 981-3203, JAPAN

Just Sayin.... :)

2 comments:

Cris said...

I knew some people who were missionaries in Singapore that talked about how nice it is. I remember some story about not even being able to chew gum there because of the risk of people throwing it on the ground (or something like that, it was a long time ago.) My sister said that Singapore Airlines is the best airline she's ever flown on. Since you have a taste for the finer things in life, go there and tell me about it! I live in a 3rd world country. :) (Okay, 2nd world.)

JENNY said...

It seems like it would definitely be hard to attend that church. That would be weird to recognize the tunes of the songs, but not be able to sing them because of the language. ha.

Bummer about not being able to go to Thailand. Hope you guys work out something else fun.

Don't worry. I will be mailing you something very soon.

Love and miss you!